Hong Kong Disneyland reopens with restrictions


Enhanced cleaning procedures have been put in place at the park.


Hong Kong Disneyland officially reopened on Friday September 25 following a two-month closure. The park first reopened in June after closing in January, but a 'third wave' of coronavirus saw it shut again in July.


The Lantau-located park says it will be opening with a “measured approach”, including capacity control, health screenings, temperature checks, mandatory mask-wearing, social distancing and ramped-up cleaning protocols.


Restrictions also cover character meet-and-greet opportunities and live shows.

“Character experiences will be offered in a new way, including selfie spots around the park… and appropriate social distancing,” said the resort in a statement. “In compliance with the government’s latest regulations, live performances will be restricted to outdoor venues during the initial reopening stage until further notice.”


The park will operate a five-day week, remaining closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays, except for public holidays. Hong Kong’s National Day celebrations next week fall on Thursday October 1 and the park will remain open. Up-to-date entertainment schedules and operating hours are available on the free, Hong Kong Disneyland mobile app.


All guests are required to reserve visits online up to seven days in advance of their trip and to make a health declaration as part of the reservation process.


A flexible booking policy includes free cancellations for park tickets and hotel bookings until December 31, 2020.

Hong Kong Disneyland's reimagined Castle of Magical Dreams is in its final stage of transformation and is scheduled to officially open in late 2020.


However, in a blow to long-term resort expansion plans, the government has announced that Hong Kong Disneyland’s option to purchase vacant land next to the park will not be extended. It is believed that the land will instead be used for Covid-19 quarantine facilities for the next few years, but beyond that no concrete plans have been announced.


The expiry date on the option to purchase the 60-hectare plot at Penny’s Bay on Lantau Island coincided with the park’s reopening date.


In a statement, Hong Kong Disneyland said it was “extremely disappointed with Hong Kong government’s decision not to extend the phase two land expansion option.” The land was set aside two decades ago under a deal reserving it for Hong Kong International Theme Parks Limited to purchase when Hong Kong Disneyland was ready for a phase two expansion.


When Hong Kong faced a third wave of coronavirus cases earlier this summer, it was decided to build a temporary quarantine structure on the land to relieve pressure on local hospitals. The quarantine unit has been running since July with 800 beds.


There have been calls for the land to be used for much needed public housing development.




Join our mail list

GET THE LATEST ARTICLES, COMPETITIONS AND SPECIAL OFFERS!

Asia Family Traveller © 2020 All Rights Reserved. Designed by Propolis Digital

Hong Kong