top of page

Five-year China travel permit offered to Hong Kong permanent residents

China travel permit

Hong Kong's permanent resident expats will be able to use e-channels to cross the border

Non-Chinese Hong Kong permanent residents will be entitled to mainland travel permits, says Beijing. The announcement was made this week that Hong Kong’s overseas permanent residents would be able to travel visa-free to the mainland from this summer.

China’s National Immigration Administration said travel permits has been opened up to a wider audience with a view to supporting the integration of Hong Kong into the national development.

According to the official announcement from Beijing, the permits will be valid for five years for multiple entry and for stays of up to 90 days per visit.

Permit holders will also be able to access the cross border e-channels after having their fingerprints collected. Currently, residents travelling on a Chinese visa must fill out arrival cards and provide fingerprints each time they cross the border. 

Hong Kong authorities have welcomed the move. “Many non-Chinese Hong Kong permanent residents have deep roots in Hong Kong,” acknowledged Hong Kong chief executive John Lee. “They have been working diligently and making significant contributions to the development of Hong Kong.”

He added that the permits will not be limited to any nationality or occupation. 

The permit can be used for short-term visiting purposes such as tourism, visiting family and business visits such as to attend seminars and exchanges. However, permit users will not be able to work, study or engage in news gathering on the mainland. To carry out such activities, individuals should apply separately to the relevant authorities. The scheme also applies to non-Chinese permanent residents of Macau.

Eligible residents can apply for the permit in-person from July 10 by visiting a China Travel Service outlet in Hong Kong or Macau. Each first application costs HK$260 and it will take 20 working days for the permit to be issued after application approval. In-person counter service applications can be made online

Read more stories like this by signing up for our FREE weekly newsletter, straight to your inbox and packed with Hong Kong and Asia news, holiday inspiration, resort reviews and giveaways. And don't forget to join the chat at Facebook Group Asia Family Traveller.


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page